Blog #1 & My Tale Of Being Induced

Here it is.  My first blog post ever.  I’m going to be bringing you some candid stories about my adventures in parenting.  I’m not telling you how to do it, I’m telling you how I did it.  I’m team parent… parents unite; celebrate each other and each of our ways!  NO parent shaming here (because we live in a world where we have to use shaming in our vocab).

Let's get started!  I’m going to skip the majority of my 9-month journey because it was boring.  Let's make a long story short to get us to the day of induction.  I had an overall healthy pregnancy, no complications….at one point of my pregnancy Lincoln was breach and the doctor thought there was no way on gods green earth he would turn, or that he could manipulate him to turn, and then Lincoln flipped around like a good baby, and happy mom to be I was.   

40 weeks came, no baby and not a contraction in sight, nothing….not even a fake one.  I’m telling you, this is disappointing.  My OB Doctors protocol is to induce at 41 weeks.  I am sure if I said “no induction,” he would have let me wait it out for a period of time.  But I was like “Bring it on!”  I was so done being pregnant, I know, completely selfish of me.  But it is my body and I was getting induced.  

Today is the day.  January 3rd, I was scheduled to go in at 7:00 PM.  MR and I sat around all day waiting to leave.  Every time I turned around, he was eating…. Nervous eating, and I was laughing at him.  It’s a weird feeling, I mean we knew we were going to go into the hospital, and by hell or high water have a baby within 24 hours.



It hit us as when we were leaving the house.  We looked at each other, and tears welled up in both of our eyes, and I started to cry.  I mean this was the last time it would be just us. Call it selfish but was this what a very rel feeling in that moment.

I had absolutely no idea what to expect when I got to the hospital.  We had attended the birthing classes (3 different ones to be exact).  But, of course, I had never asked my doctor the details of this induction.  

We checked in.  I got a hospital gown on (no I did not bring my own, it will only get ruined with huge tremendous amounts of blood and body fluids).  We all got hospital band, and the nurse then started asking what my overall birth plan was.  Yeah, the plan everyone insists that you write down.  Which I did not do, because every plan of mine does not follow course.  All I knew is that I really, really, really wanted to try and have a natural birth.  She explained to me my options of the epidural etc etc, and I sort of listened, but not really.

In came a doctor to place this thing called Cervadil.  A stringy feminine hygiene product-looking thing that is suppose to get labor going.  & boy did it ever.  I went from never having a contraction, to contraction city.  My description of a contraction would be that feeling when you really, really have to go the  bathroom, times that by a million and it's not going away.  

It was not fun, but I was being tough.  I lasted until about midnight when I decided maybe I could survive if I got something to take the edge off.  So I had them put some stuff in my IV (don’t remember the name)… wouldn’t do it again because it just made me mad that it was doing absolutely NOTHING.  

@ 5:00 AM the nurse came in and offered me to get into the bathtub.  Let's dial back to my birthing class when the lady said you can get into the bath at the hospital, and I literally LOLed because I would never be caught dead in a hospital bathtub.  HA, because there I was plunging my big pregnant body into the bathtub, but leaving on my bra of course because I was still grasping for dignity at this point.  

I was in that tub until I couldn’t take it anymore.  My thoughts of having this natural birth were going out the window.  About 2 ½ hours later I was begging the nurse to get me something.  We decided on a Spinal Block (because I was still hanging on for hope of no epidural).

Getting out the bathtub is when I lost all dignity.  My soaking wet bra came off, of course.  I could barely get out of this bathtub because my contractions were so close together.  So there I stand…. stark naked, straddling the tub as the nurse is holding one arm and MR is holding the other.  I thought in my head “what in the hell has my life come too.”  I can only imagine this was not a pretty site and I am so grateful no full-length mirror was anywhere near me.  

The spinal block went well, but only lasted about an hour until I was grimacing in pain again.  I threw in the towel, (and when I say threw in I mean I willingly, thankfully, finally) caved for that Epidural.  They came in to check how far I was dilated, I was around a 9, and my hospital allowed me to proceed with the Epidural.

I was so grateful for the epidural when it came along that I couldn’t tell you anything about it.  It did only take on one side, which didn’t matter much to me because it seriously took the edge off.  

Now the fun part.  I was relaxed, finally and ready to push.  The nurse and MR held my legs.  Yes, the nurse told him he was being put to work.  Remember, no dignity.  I could care less what MR saw at this point.  

I pushed for an hour.  Stuff was happening.  I mean, when they tell you to push, you are pushing.   You can’t control what’s going on in that area.  Poop happens ladies and gentleman.  And when it does, you will be soooooo embarrassed.   But literally, nothing you can do about it.  If your dignity has not left you already, I’m guessing it has now.  

At one point during pushing, I was so relaxed, I am pretty sure I told MR I was hungry.  

Finally, the nurse got the Doctor for the third and final time (those Docs don’t like to stick around too long).  I loved my doctor, I had so much trust in him so that helped me a lot.  Something I didn’t know before all of this is Doc does not come in until basically the final moments.  

So he gets in, gloves up.  He is telling me to push, push, push…. then he said: “don’t you know how to push.”  Which at this point I’m sure he realized something else had to be done.  I had the dreaded episiotomy at this point.  I don’t know what the big hype on that is about, I didn’t feel a thing and was relieved. After that happened out came his head, shoulders and then the baby.

All NINE POUNDS 3 OUNCES of him.  You heard that right.  Lord, have mercy. Doc says to me “Your first baby 9 pounds 3 ounce, you can do anything now.”  Ummm, is that a compliment?  But, I digress.  

Oh. My. God.  I was soooooo happy this was over.  Pshhh think again, they showed the baby to me and then started washing, weighing etc., and Doc told me ok time to PUSH the placenta out.  

Uh, what!? Hold up, and wait one second.  I have to do what?  I said to him “can’t you just pull it out.”  He might have thought that was a joke, but it wasn’t.  I was serious.  I thought I was freaking done.  So tired, I had been up all night (time check it was now around noon).  

I pushed that stupid thing out, I did request to keep this thing, I do not want to eat it, ever.   Cheers to those that have gone that route, but that will not be in my future.  

I felt like he stitched me up forever!  I could see him doing this.  I could not feel a thing.  I just remember thinking please let that be the last stitch. & Then he would thread it again.  Ugh.

My Baby!  When I finally got to really hold Lincoln… I had no tears, I just stared at him.  We stared at each other.  It was literally love at first sight.  An unexplainable feeling of happiness.  

It was 9 months of waiting, and what you get was pure perfection.  


Baby Lincoln


The first feeding.  My hospital was so pro-breast-feeding, so that made this part easy.  Yes, I had attended a class because I knew nothing about breastfeeding.  And I won’t go into too much detail in this post about it (we will save that for later.)  Besides attending a class, I was so overwhelmed with this additional family member I felt like I forgot everything.

The nurse was so helpful and knowledgeable; she showed me how to get him to latch on.  He seemed to know what he was doing, and away we went.  It was in this moment that I really felt I had an absolute purpose to serve, and I was whole.  

& then they leave you with this baby.  Your baby.  This new love of your life.   And you are changing diapers and holding him and acting like you knew how to be a parent all along.  It's crazy.  

Then, people come in and out, and we welcomed family and friends. I mean we are celebrating new life here so why not.  Who am I kidding, it's pure chaos, and I believe some of it was filmed (Not the birth people)!  

But let's talk about when they make you get up.  Um, holy smokes the blood.  I Yuck.  It was gross.  I didn’t want to get up; I was scared to use the bathroom.  It didn’t hurt as much as I thought it would.  It actually wasn’t painful at all, just uncomfortable and really sore.   

My hospital provided disposable underwear, I recommend them.  Wear them, embrace them… or prepare to ruin a lot of underwear.  My hospital also provided a frozen pad, wrapped in gauze with a moist tuck pad on the gauze and some numbing spray.   Holy life-saving miracle.   

(I will definitely get into these must haves more in the next post).  

The shower after birth makes you feel like a new woman.  

Putting your own clothes on to go home is exciting.  

Putting your baby in the car seat for the first time to go home is terrifying, and exciting all at once.  

& That’s it, you wait around the next day for all your discharge paper.  You gaze into this precious babies eyes and they send you home like you know what you are doing or something.

And you do know what you are doing.  Because it is true, it is instinctual.  

It is blissful.

It is scary.

It is emotional.

But it is the beginning of the next best chapter of your life.

{Don’t forget to check back for the next blog post, the overdone list of MUST haves in your hospital bag!}


~ Written by Mykala (Myk) Strzelecki
   Instagram Follow @mykrofl

Older Post Newer Post

Leave a comment



Sold Out